Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hey, you ever been "snicked"?

I'm taking care of my good frirend/neighbor's daughter "P" a couple of days this week. She's 3 1/2. Having a boy myself, this opportunity is very different than what I am used to. She is much more "girly" and quite frankly, I don't really know how to handle it. But it has been fun so far!


I've learned a few things along the way.


* If I could pop out another kid somewhere between the age of 3 1/2 and 4, my son would be much less of a challenge simply because he would have someone other than me to play with.


* Girls can pee on the floor too. It's much more confusing, but it can happen.


* Boys are gentler when they play with girls and much less competitive.


* Two kids are MUCH LOUDER than one!


* And possibly my favorite..."Snicked" is going to be my word of choice for the next week at least. And I will use it whenever I can. Here's how it came to be.


We have a dog Chelbi, she's a great dog. Our neighbor girl "P" is DEATHLY afraid of dogs!


Sidenote: She was strangled by a leash with a dog attached to it, and it was attached to a pole while her "wonderful" father paid such close attention to her (she was the sophisticated age of 2 1/2). She has a right to be afraid.


My dog would never hurt her, but she is still afraid. After two days of being in my house while the dog remained in another room with the door closed "P" decided that she "wanted to pet Chelbi" I, knowing her history with dogs applaud her bravery and encourage and help her to do this. I hold my dog by the collar....I should mention that Chelbi is a Rottweiler and pushing 100 pounds. "P" is barely 35. So, anyway...I hold Chelbi and reassure "P" that Chelbi won't get her, won't bite her, etc. "P" puts out her hand and I hold it in mine and we approach Chelbi together. It probably takes 5 times of "P" pulling away and me assuring her that it's going to be OK. She finally lets Chelbi sniff her hand. Being a dog, the lick comes next. I tell "P" Chelbi likes you, see she sniffed you and licked your hand. That's like a doggie kiss. "P", very excitedly announces to everyone who will listen that she has been "snicked" by Chelbi. I love it, and will freely use it!


I should also note, that by the end of today, "P" was in the same room with Chelbi without me holding her hand and kept peeking in to say hi...all by herself! I'm very proud of her.


Has your dog "snicked" you today? Mine has. ;) Isn't she cute???

4 comments:

paisley penguin said...

OMG - "snicked" is such a cute term! Good for P - bravo! I know how even my dog scared hera little and he weighs only 16 pounds!

The Dirty Scottish Bastard said...

What a funny term!! Paisley P came up with a word last nite.........you'll have to ask her about it. She almost fell out of bed laughing.

Seriously Brenda said...

My little monkeys have been "snicked" several times today, especially after breakfast! What a great word.

Anonymous said...

I'm always shocked at the amount of noise just a few little boogers can create!