Monday, August 18, 2008

A Rose is a Rose...

I've recently (within the past 2 months) personally known three people in the Seattle Metropolitan area who have named their baby girls "Something" Rose. Each one has a different first name, but all of them have the middle name Rose. We welcome Karla, Natalie and Julia Rose.

This got me thinking, what makes a name mainstream? What throws it out there when it has previously been hidden/forgotten? We all remember the Jennifer's and Jason's from the late 70's early 80's and more recently the Emma's and the Aidan, Jaden, Kaden, Braden and even Taden's (my cousin did this to their child).

But, what makes it such a desireable name? Just when you as a parent to be decide on the perfect name for your little one, you discover that 99% of the babies born of the same sex have the same name! (Ok, I might have just exaggerated a bit.) This was my big fear as my son has an older name and so far, I've not heard that many other kids with the same name. Whew! He won't be one of 5 other kids with the same name in his class.

Just my strange wonderings of the day.

No comments: