Sunday, May 3, 2009

Eating from our stockpile.

Today I was sitting in the kitchen at the table and I was trying to plan our dinner menu for the next week. I decided to try and come up with as many ideas as i could using our stockpile.

We have accumulated many a things in the past 9 months that I have been couponing. Our refrigerator, freezer, pantry and all of our available cupboard space is completely jam-packed. I thought it might be a good idea to use up some things. Plus that I want to see just how much we will have after my experiment. I'm guessing that I will only have to replace items in the fridge and freezer. I'm thinking that the cupboards will still be extremely full. So, I made my list of dinners for the next 10 days. I also went through the freezer and wrote down main dish ideas for 7 more days but I will still need to plan the sides on those days.

Here's what I came up with.

* BBQ Chicken Drumsticks, Scalloped Potatoes, Salad & Sauteed Mushrooms and Onions
* Lasagna, Garlic Bread Sticks & Salad
* Black Bean/Chicken Enchiladas, Spanish Rice & Corn
* Cube Steak, Garlic Noodles & Asparagus
* Breakfast Casserole & Cantaloupe
* Isernios Chicken Sausages, Sweet Potatoes & Green Beans
* Meatloaf, Cornbread & Green Beans
* Kielbasa Sausage, Fried New Potatoes & Corn on the Cob
* Roasted Chicken, Rice a Roni & Glazed Carrots
* Slowcooker BBQ Beef, Pasta Roni & Broccoli Florets

I did have to make a stop at the grocery store to pick up a few things that I didn't have in my stock pile to complete the meals. I ended up spending $33 of our $75 weekly food budget. I should not have to go back to the store for at least 4 days and even then it will only be for milk, bread and eggs.

You might notice that there aren't that many fruits in our menu, this is simply because these are only dinners. We tend to eat fruit for breakfast, lunches and snacks more often than we do for dinner. We do strive very hard to eat from every color of the rainbow. ;)

This should be a fun experiment. I'm hoping to keep myself on track and not go out to eat during this time. We also have plenty of food for breakfasts, lunches and snacks.

I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: